On Tuesday 22 March 2016 (2pm-3pm) we’ll be hosting a chat on Twitter asking you, and in particular those with long term conditions, how we can help you manage your health better. The chat will be hosted by NHS Leeds West CCG (@NHSLeedsWest) using #managinghealth. We will be joined by one of our local GPs Dr Mark Fuller who’s also our clinical lead for public health as well as Sue Wilkinson who’s one of our commissioning managers.
But you don’t have to wait until 22 March 2016 to share your thoughts on this topic. Get involved now by leaving your comments below – you don’t even need to log in!
One of the options we are considering is something called health coaching for people with long term conditions such as:
- heart disease and associated conditions such as hypertension (high blood pressure); and
- COPD (a name given to a number of respiratory conditions).
Health coaching aims to give people the knowledge and skills to take control of their long term condition so that they can reach self-identified goals. It’s not about doing this alone, health coaches will provide support through regular follow-ups and give people the tools needed to look after their own health. It includes:
- Regular follow-ups with a health coach who will encourage clients to be active participants in their care
- Providing information
- Teaching clients specific skills
- Promoting healthy behaviours
- Supporting patients with the emotional impact that long term conditions can have on their health.
Please share your views, thoughts or questions below or join us on Tuesday 22 March 2016 from 2pm until 3pm.
If you have any concerns about your health please get in touch with the healthcare professional – such as a GP, nurse or pharmacist – who would normally look after you.
Get involved now by leaving your comments below – you don’t even need to log in!